Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Blithering Idiot by Weyerbacher


As for the taste well, there is definitely a lot of sweet, thick and syrupy caramel malts with a bit of a wheaty and wet graininess that adds a touch of earthiness to it; the onslaught of the overripe and dark fruits in the nose are actually fairly subdued and play more of a supporting role, but also manage to come out a bit in the aftertaste along with a firm presence of alcohol; a slight tinge of astringent and woody bitterness — I would almost think that this beer spent some time in an oak barrel (is this the case?); an acidic and apple-like presence starts to come out as it continues to warm. Gave me the chills.

Body is heavy, thick, syrupy and the carbonation is really a non-factor (I wish it had a bit more to it to liven up this thick and slick body); a thick and sticky coating is left all over the mouth; gums and belly are left warm and tingly from the 11% ABV.

It’s not bad, and I certainly wouldn’t turn one down, but it’s not likely something I’ll seek out again in the near future. And I’m not sure if I can finish the entire bottle. The smell and flavors are solid enough, but the body hurts it, and the high ABV prevents more than one being put down in a night. Worth trying, not sure if I would actually pick this up to age as the body isn’t likely to improve.
Sadly this ended up a drain pour, just to thick and syrupy

No comments:

Post a Comment